Whether you call it walking, hiking or rambling, the Gay Sunday Walking group goes out and enjoys it - in London, Middlesex, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Berks, Bucks, Beds and Herts on one all-day and one half-day walk each month.
The all day-walks are 7 to 12 miles long, usually starting and finishing at a railway station within an hour's travel from a London terminus. There is a lunchtime stop at a pub serving food or you can bring a picnic. The half-day walks are 3 to 6 miles and mostly start at a pub. Some years there are also weeks and weekends away.
GSWG membership costs £9 a year and you will receive a walks notice and newsletter every three months via email (£11 via post), and tea after the AGM and December walks. It is open to gay men, lesbians, and straights with a positive attitude. There are around 160 members, most of them gay men. Between 15 and 30 people generally join a walk.
- Sunday, June 7th. A four-mile walk following the course of the subterranean river Fleet from King’s Cross to Blackfriars with an historical detour in the Farringdon area. Pavements all the way.
- Saturday, June 20th. An enjoyable ramble today from Bow Brickhill near Milton Keynes to Leighton Buzzard in Bedfordshire through pleasant countryside and alongside a stretch of the Grand Union Canal. Nine miles.
- Monday, June 22nd. An evening walk of four miles from Harrow-on-the-Hill to South Kenton passing Harrow School and with views of London from Harrow Hill, followed by a get-together with the local gay group. Could be muddy in places.
- Saturday, June 27th. Stage seven of the High Weald Landscape Trail from Brenchley to Benenden in Kent. Eleven miles and up and down.
- Sunday, July 5th. Sloane Square is where this afternoon’s four-mile circular starts and finishes, passing various places of interest up to the World’s End.
- Sunday, July 19th. A full-day ten mile walk today in the beautiful Surrey countryside from Haslemere to the Devil’s Punchbowl and back. Climbs and descents of course plus some road walking but beautiful views to boot.
- Saturday, July 25th. Continuing along the High Weald Landscape Trail, eight miles today from Benenden to Tenterden.
- Sunday, August 2nd. Ravenscourt Park to Kew Gardens station along the Thames towpath. Four miles, followed by the group’s AGM for members.
- Sunday, August 16th. To the Chiltern Hills today for an eight-mile circular from Amersham with a lunch stop at Chalfont St Giles. Fields, woods, lanes, lovely scenery and undulating.
- Saturday, August 29th. Stage nine of the High Weald Landscape Trail from Tenterden in Kent to Peasmarsh, East Sussex via the landlocked Isle of Oxney. Ten miles of hills and flat bits.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY