Welcome to the website of the Gay Sunday Walking Group, an organisation that gives gay men and women the opportunity of healthy walking in good and like-minded company in and around London every month. You don’t have to be an experienced rambler to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to 12. There is no age limit and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so members, start and finish at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks, stop at a pub or cafe for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians, and straights with a positive attitude and costs just £9 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December Tea celebration. If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed here (the programme is updated every three months) and you can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day.
- Sunday, February 7th - a further four miler, through four royal parks starting at Westminster and finishing at High Street Kensington stations. Flat all the way of course.
- Sunday, February 21st - hopefully a taste of Springand some country air today as we start at Sunningdale station in Berkshire and wend our way via Virginia Water and Windsor Great Park to Windsor itself. Eight and a half miles.
- Saturday, March 5th: A five mile afternoon walk through Epping Forest starting from near and finishing at Chingford station on the Overground. Might be muddy in places.
- Saturday, March 19th: The Kentish downs on the outskirts of London are our destination today as we visit Downe, Cudham and Knockholt on this interesting ten and a half mile ramble.
- Sunday, April 3rd: To the north London suburb of Arnos Grove on the Piccadilly line this week for a four and a half mile afternoon walk on firm ground (so no mud!) to East Barnet and back.
- Sunday, April 17th: A long-awaited return to Henley-on-Thames in Oxfordshire. A lovely walk alongside the upper reaches of the Thames and lunch at Hambleden are just two aspects of this nine and a half mile full day's outing.
- Bank holiday Monday, May 2nd: Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park via the Isabella Plantation (full of colourful azaleas if we are lucky). Need I say more? Half day walk, six miles.
- Sunday, May 15th: A full day's walk in Hertfordshire today, starting in Harpenden, walking through attractive countryside and finishing in the abbey town of St Albans. Nine miles.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY