Whether you call it walking, hiking or rambling, the Gay Sunday Walking group goes out and enjoys it - in London, Middlesex, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Berks, Bucks, Beds and Herts on one all-day and one half-day walk each month.
The all day-walks are 7 to 12 miles long, usually starting and finishing at a railway station within an hour's travel from a London terminus. There is a lunchtime stop at a pub serving food or you can bring a picnic. The half-day walks are 3 to 6 miles and mostly start at a pub. Some years there are also weeks and weekends away.
GSWG membership costs £9 a year and you will receive a walks notice and newsletter every three months via email (£11 via post), and tea after the AGM and December walks. It is open to gay men, lesbians, and straights with a positive attitude. There are around 160 members, most of them gay men. Between 15 and 30 people generally join a walk.
- Sunday December 7th: A seven-mile walk starting at Kew Gardens station, that follows the Thames through Richmond and on to Ham House, and continues through Richmond Park back to the town's station. It will be followed by a party for members only.
- Sunday December 14th: A midday pre-Christmas stroll from Chalk Farm station, over Primrose Hill and through Regent's Park, to Baker Street station. Four miles.
- Sunday January 4th 2015: Join us along The Black Path - a route from the City of London to Walthamstow passing through Spitalfields, the Brick Lane area, Hackney and across the river Lea. Five miles
- Sunday January 18th: To the outer London suburbs today for a nine-mile walk from Elmstead Woods station to Hayes in Kent subtitled "The bears, the cockpit and the big guns". Or you can do the first four miles as a morning walk or the latter five miles as an afternoon walk - the intermediate point being Petts Wood station.
- Sunday February 1st: We cover familiar territory today on this three and a half mile stroll from Liverpool Street to Charing Cross, crossing the river twice and seeing some favourite sights of our great capital city.
- Sunday February 15th: Egham and Windsor Great Park circular. Nine miles. Our first walk this year in the country proper, passing Runnymede and taking in great views of the Thames Valley and Windsor Castle.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY