Welcome to the website of the Gay Sunday Walking Group, an organisation that gives gay men and women the opportunity of healthy walking in good and like-minded company in and around London every month. You don’t have to be an experienced rambler to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to 12. There is no age limit and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so members, start and finish at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks, stop at a pub or cafe for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians, and straights with a positive attitude and costs just £9 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December Tea celebration. If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed here (the programme is updated every three months) and you can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day.
- Sunday, May 15th: A full day's walk in Hertfordshire today, starting in Harpenden, walking through attractive countryside and finishing in the abbey town of St Albans. Nine miles.
- Sunday, June 5th: East Finchley to Totteridge & Whetstone, not via the Northern line, but a five mile half-day walk along the Mutton Brook and the Dollis Brook. Flat throughout.
- Sunday, July 19th: To the Chiltern Hills today for a circular walk from Chesham station. A beautiful landscape with gentle hills and some short steep ascents. Eight and a half miles.
- Monday, June 20th: An evening walk from Harrow-on-the-Hill to South Kenton where we join the local gay group at one of their meetings. Fine views, undulating and perhaps muddy in places. Four miles.
- Sunday, July 3rd: A four mile half-day walk from Wanstead to Forest Gate in East London. Lovely open spaces so close to central London.
- Saturday, July 16th: A full day circular walk of ten and a half miles from Tattenham Corner, crossing Epsom Downs racecourse and stopping for lunch at Mogador. Undulating with a couple of climbs.
- Sunday, August 7th: From Horsley to Clandon in West Surrey, a four and three quarter mile flat walk through woods and unspoilt countryside. Afterwards, the AGM (for members only) will be held in West Clandon.
- Sunday, August 21st: Part of the London Loop today in Kent and Surrey. Nine miles with hills and stiles from Hayes station to Hamsey Green.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY