Whether you call it walking, hiking or rambling, the Gay Sunday Walking Group goes out and enjoys it - in London, Middlesex, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Berks, Bucks, Beds and Herts on one all-day and one half-day walk each month.
You don’t have to be an experienced rambler to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to 12. We welcome members of all ages and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so, starting and finishing at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks, stopping at a pub or café for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). The group maintains specialist activity insurance arranged through the Ramblers charity.
GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians, and to gay-friendly straights and costs just £11 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December Tea celebration.
If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed here (the programme is updated every three months). You can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day. We are a friendly group and you can rest assured that you will be made most welcome.
Current programme (to end of February 2019)
- Sunday, November 18th – to the north-east of our capital city today for an eight mile walk from Broxbourne in Hertfordshire to Cheshunt along the beautiful Lea Valley, stopping for lunch at historic Waltham Abbey. Flat and mainly on firm paths.
- Saturday, December 8th – a four mile circular afternoon walk starting at the Angel station in north London. We’ll walk downhill to the King’s Cross area to look at many of the changes made in recent years then back uphill to Islington. Members will stop at St Silas Church Hall for our Christmas Celebration.
- Sunday, December 23rd – our traditional pre-Christmas lunchtime walk from Chalk Farm to Baker Street pausing at Primrose Hill to admire panoramic views of our great metropolis. Three and a half miles.
- Saturday, January 5th – Totteridge & Whetstone to Henlys Corner near Golders Green. A pleasant afternoon walk following the Dollis Brook and with tarmac paths all the way. Four and a half miles and no mud!.
- Sunday, January 20th – our first full-day walk of the new year takes in the central London Royal Parks on an eight mile Walk for Diana. Starting and finishing at Green Park station, we’ll pass by palaces, famous houses, memorials and many other places associated with the People’s Princess. Pub lunch or bring your own food, plenty of drop-out points if you don’t want to walk the whole route.
- Sunday, February 3rd – if you don’t know East London well, you’re in for a pleasant surprise this afternoon as we meet at Leytonstone for a five mile walk around Wanstead Park and Wanstead Flats, two large green areas with lakes and woodland close to the heart of London.
- Saturday, February 16th – our first taste this year of the countryside on this full day eight and a half mile walk from Sunningdale to Windsor, via Virginia Water and Windsor Great Park. Undulating and with a lunch stop at Savill Gardens.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY