Welcome to the website of the Gay Sunday Walking Group, an organisation that gives gay men and women the opportunity of healthy walking in good and like-minded company in and around London every month. You don’t have to be an experienced rambler to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to 12. There is no age limit and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so members, start and finish at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks, stop at a pub or cafe for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians, and straights with a positive attitude and costs just £9 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December Tea celebration. If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed here (the programme is updated every three months) and you can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day.
- Sunday November 22nd - an eight mile walk starting and finishing at Chessington South station (direct train from Waterloo) and exploring Ashstead Common. A generally level walk across fields and through attractive woodland.
- Sunday December 6th - from Kew Gardens station to Richmond, Ham House, Richmond Park and back to Richmond (followed by a tea party for members). Seven miles with just one climb.
- Sunday December 20th - a lunchtime walk today from Chalk Farm to Baker Street stations, via Primrose Hill and across Regent’s Park. Four miles.
- Sunday January 3rd 2016 - another central London walk of four miles, this time from Lambeth North station to Tower Bridge. The leader calls it South Bank Explorer although it does cross the Thames twice.
- Sunday January 17th - a circular walk from and to Putney station (SWT) taking in Wimbledon Common and Village, the Beverley Brook and the Thames towpath. Nine miles.
- Sunday, February 7th - a further four miler, through four royal parks starting at Westminster and finishing at High Street Kensington stations. Flat all the way of course.
- Sunday, February 21st - hopefully a taste of Springand some country air today as we start at Sunningdale station in Berkshire and wend our way via Virginia Water and Windsor Great Park to Windsor itself. Eight and a half miles.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY