Welcome to the website of the Gay Sunday Walking Group, an organisation that gives gay men and women the opportunity of healthy walking in good and like-minded company in and around London every month. You don’t have to be an experienced rambler to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to 12. There is no age limit and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so members, start and finish at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks, stop at a pub or cafe for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians, and straights with a positive attitude and costs just £10 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December Tea celebration. If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed here (the programme is updated every three months) and you can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day.
Current Programme (September to November)
- Sunday September 3rd – The second part of our walk along the Regent’s Canal is our half-day walk for this month. Four and a half miles from Angel Islington eastwards to Limehouse Basin with a stop in Victoria Park en route. Not surprisingly this walk is flat throughout!
- Saturday September 9th – The third stage of our ramble the length of the Vanguard Way from Croydon to Seaford takes place today with an undulating ten-mile walk from Edenbridge to Forest Row. As there is no suitable pub stop for lunch, please bring a picnic.
- Sunday September 17th – A circular walk today starting and finishing at Great Missenden station in Buckinghamshire. Beautiful Chilterns countryside with two steep climbs and descents. Ten miles.
- Sunday October 1st – An afternoon walk of four and a half miles visiting Stanmore’s nature reserves and woods. Stanmore is at the northern end of the Jubilee line but the greenery we’ll walk through seems a million miles away from the hubbub of the capital. One gentle climb and descent.
- Sunday October 15th – Another full-day circular walk, this one beginning and ending at Woldingham in Surrey, a few miles southeast of Purley, Hilly throughout. Fields, woods, open country and lunch at Oxted. What’s not to like?
- Sunday November 5th – A lunchtime start for this afternoon’s six-mile walk in west London, Circular from Osterley station, through Osterley Park and along the towpath of the Grand Union Canal. One steady climb.
- Sunday November 19th – A nine-mile circular walk based on East Grinstead in West Sussex. Undulating with some longish but not steep climbs plus a few stiles. well worth the effort though.
Unless otherwise stated, all of our full day walks include a stop for lunch in a pub or you are welcome to bring a picnic. The list of walks from September to November 2017 will be shown here from mid-August onwards.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY