Welcome to the website of the Gay Sunday Walking Group, an organisation that gives gay men and women the opportunity of healthy walking in good and like-minded company in and around London every month. You don’t have to be an experienced rambler to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to 12. There is no age limit and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so members, start and finish at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks, stop at a pub or cafe for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians, and straights with a positive attitude and costs just £10 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December Tea celebration. If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed here (the programme is updated every three months) and you can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day.
Current Programme (December 2017 to February 2018)
- Sunday December 3rd – A lunchtime walk of three and a half miles from Chalk Farm station to Baker Street station, climbing Primrose Hill for views of London and then crossing Regent’s Park, all at a leisurely pace.
- Sunday December 17th – Our traditional pre-Christmas walk starting and finishing at Kew Gardens station, via the towpath to Richmond and Ham House, then via Richmond Park and the town. Seven miles in total with a lunch stop in Richmond. At the end of the walk is our December Tea for members and guests.
- Saturday January 6th – An innovative four mile circular walk from Vauxhall to Battersea concentrating on the many new buildings springing up in this area, many on the site of the former Nine Elms Goods Depot and of course around Battersea Power Station.
- Sunday January 21st – Our first country walk of the year takes us to Eynsford in Kent for a nine-mile ramble through attractive scenery. Alternatively, you can come for the morning stretch of five miles or the afternoon section of four miles. The morning has some climbs and a fairly steep descent, the afternoon is mostly flat. The lunch stop is at Shoreham (Kent).
- Sunday February 4th – A pleasant afternoon walk in what used to be called Middlesex ... five miles from Greenford to South Kenton following a part of the Capital Ring across Horsenden Hill and passing Harrow School. Undulating terrain, more ups than downs.
- Saturday February 17th – A nine-mile circular from Coulsdon South station in outer London/Surrey borders, walking via Farthing Down, Chipstead Valley and Banstead Woods. Hilly, as some of these names suggest. You can drop out after seven miles at Chipstead station.
Unless otherwise stated, all of our full day walks include a stop for lunch in a pub or you are welcome to bring a picnic. The list of walks from March to May 2018 will be shown here from late February onwards.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY